Spring Greetings Liberty Lake Family!
The snow has melted, the grass is starting to turn green again, so let's get this started!
THIS SUNDAY, APRIL 10th @ RITA'S
We are hosting a 10th Anniversary Pre-Camp Get-Together at the beloved Rita's Water Ice of Mt. Laurel,Next Sunday, April 10, from 12 noon to 3pm. We'll be giving out FREE WATER ICE, as well as a variety of prizes from our 10 Year Prize Box! We hope you can stop by- Click Here for the official flyer
2011 LLDC PRIME INITIATIVE: INTENTIONAL CAMP
Recently I put together a three-part workshop series at the American Camp AssociationConference which I help oversee. The workshop discussed the implications of recent research done by top corporations and universities as to the 21st Century Competencies which our children need to succeed as adults. New studies are all showing that the top skills needed for kids are NOT the Three Rs that we learn in school. Ground-breaking studies like this one: p21.org, show that our instincts are correct. Our children need the APPLIED SKILLS which we teach and learn every day at CAMP:
- Critical Thinking
So from this point forward at Liberty Lake, when we ask ourselves: Why are we here at Liberty Lake? The answer will be much more concrete and intentional than just FUN. We are here to help people grow into the best people they can become, and every program and activity at Camp will follow through with that mission, and the applied skills outlined above. We are adding two more skills that we feel are important at Liberty Lake: Inspiration, and What it Means to be a Good Friend.
WHAT'S GOING ON AT LIBERTY LAKE RIGHT NOW?
- Work has begun on the New Driveway Entrance, we hope that it will be done by the summer, but the Turnpike folks are not very predictable. Rest assured, our old driveway will function up until we cross over to the new one.
- Turtle Town, our magical little village for our little campers is taking shape down at the far side of the lake, on the other side of the boat docks. Casey and Brandi have lots of great ideas!
- The telephone pole has been delivered for one of our two exciting New High Ropes Adventure elements- The Pamper Pole! You can look up videos and pictures online, but a quick definition: Campers climb to the top of a tree/pole (tethered to a line), and jump (known as the Leap of Faith) to a trapeze swing- a very exhilarating activity, to say the least. And that's only ONE of the new elements we're installing!
- Our new and improved Website LibertyLakeDayCamp.com has been getting a LOT of views from families old and new. While we are opposed to electronics IN Camp, we have embraced new technology and social media OUT of Camp- giving our families the opportunity to stay connected with LLDC the other 9 months each year. Check out the SummerZone for links you need for the Summer, our Cool Virtual Tour, Liberty News and the Liberty Blog for the latest info. For you Facebookers, we are all about our Fanpage, with Weekly 10-Year Photo Albums, and more: http://www.facebook.com/LLDCFANPAGE
- We've officially formed a 501c3 for the Liberty Lake Foundation for Youth. This organization provides scholarships for underprivileged children to attend camp, and supports other like minded, LOCAL youth-development organizations. We are reaching out to our local schools, making ties with guidance departments, PTOs, and school administrators. More info and opportunities to follow!
- The We Love Liberty Lake Coaliton is getting stronger in our fight against the warehouse development adjacent to us. While the economy has given us a window of reprieve, our battle rages on as the DEP is about to give water management approvals and permits for an area that readily floods and will effect Liberty Lake. We are working on a new website, but you can check out/sign on to our Facebook Cause Page, and our coalition site: WeLoveLibertyLake.com
- TEXTCASTER Emergency Texting System- Click Here to Login and activate your account, and enable us to contact you in the summer- This service will ONLY be used for Emergencies, not promotion or Color War pranks. Register as many cell phones as you'd like to receive the emergency notifications.
WHAT ABOUT THIS SUMMER- ANYTHING NEW?
- It's our 10th Year Anniversary,I and we have lots of great celebratory ideas- including new T-Shirts just for this Summer! Wait until you see the design- it's very cool.
- More Landscaping Beauty in and around the main Camp area, including an irrigation system to keep the grass green, and a bigger, shinier flagpole and flag (see pix on Facebook Fan Page).
- The final stage of Changing Rooms- so ALL are new and nice!
- Beautiful New Fence and Railings all around the pool area, SandLand and more.
- Beautiful New Concrete all around the pool deck, out to the Woods, up the driveway, and by the Snack Shack.
- Ga-Ga Tournament Finals will be held on the Amphitheater Stage!
- Yes, our CAMP ROCKS- and it's also our Camp Musical in 2011- with April!
- The 9th and 10th Grade has broken off and become their own division. The Leadership Division Last year we have over 100 little leadershippers- and this year looks to be the same. We are VERY PROUD of this dynamic program, and hope that you all consider it when your time comes!
- GOLD RUSH will be a surprise event this year, like Color War But that's all I'm allowed to say.
- We're building a GIGANTIC GARDEN behind the office! It will be an elective, and we will be growing vegetables, herbs and more- to be used at both the cooking elective and the LLDC lunch time Salad Bar! Come get your hands dirty with us~
- New Spirit Calendar Events: Luau, Renaissance Day, Jersey Shore, Bang the Drum, Magic the Gathering, Chinese New Year, Green Day, Bubbles and Balloons, Halloween Day and more. CLICK HERE for Latest Spirit Calendar
UPCOMING EVENTS AND IMPORTANT DATES
- May 21 Community Health Day. Lots of fun Camp activities, plus all kinds of health-related groups and activities, plus food, games, etc.
- June 4, 5, 11, 12New Jersey Renaissance Faire @ Liberty Lake- Come to our Magical 2nd Season, where King Arthur and his legendary Knights of the Roundtable turn Liberty Lake into a Medieval village full of jousting, comedy, turkey legs and more! NJRenFaire.com
- June 8, 6-8pm, New Parent Orientation
- June 14, 6:30-8, Parent Meet and Greet 6/14/11
- June 20, First Day of Pre Week
- July 4, Independence Day, Camp Closed
- June 27, First Day of Regular Season
- August 4, 5:30-7:30, FAMILY NIGHT
- August 19, Last day of Week 8
- August 22, First day of Post Week.
- August 26, Last Day of Season
As always- If you have any questions about anything, please just Email or Call us!
And of course... SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG!
Andy Pritikin and the Liberty Lake Year-Round Crew